About Me

My photo
Cody, Wyoming, United States
I am serving a 2 year mission in Montana/Wyoming For the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints (Mormons)I have been out over a year and I love it

Friday, April 22, 2011

Jesus Christ has taken mylicking for me


A little while ago I found this story and I thought it was an amazing Easter story.  I feel like it helps us to know what Jesus Christ did for us and the price that he paid for all of us. 

“Years ago there was little one-room schoolhouse in the mountains of Virginia where the boys were so rough that no teacher had been able tohandle them.
“A young, inexperienced teacher applied, and the old director scanned himand asked: ‘Young fellow, do you know that you are asking for an awfulbeating? Every teacher that we have had here for years has had to takeone.’
“‘I will risk it,’ he replied.
“The first day of school came, and the teacher appeared for duty. One bigfellow named Tom whispered: ‘I won’t need any help with this one. canlick him myself.’
“The teacher said, ‘Good morning, boys, we have come to conduct school.’They yelled and made fun at the top of their voices. ‘Now, want goodschool, but confess that do not know how unless you help me. Supposewe have few rules. You tell me, and will write them on the blackboard.’
“One fellow yelled, ‘No stealing!’ Another yelled, ‘On time.’ Finally, tenrules appeared on the blackboard.
“‘Now,’ said the teacher, ‘a law is not good unless there is penaltyattached. What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?’
“‘Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on,’ came theresponse from the class.
“‘That is pretty severe, boys. Are you sure that you are ready to stand byit?’ Another yelled, ‘I second the motion,’ and the teacher said, ‘All right,we will live by them! Class, come to order!’
“In day or so, ‘Big Tom’ found that his lunch had been stolen. The thiefwas located—a little hungry fellow, about ten years old. ‘We have foundthe thief and he must be punished according to your rule—ten stripesacross the back. Jim, come up here!’ the teacher said.
“The little fellow, trembling, came up slowly with big coat fastened up tohis neck and pleaded, ‘Teacher, you can lick me as hard as you like, butplease, don’t take my coat off!’
“‘Take your coat off,’ the teacher said. ‘You helped make the rules!’
“‘Oh, teacher, don’t make me!’ He began to unbutton, and what did theteacher see? The boy had no shirt on, and revealed bony little crippledbody.
“‘How can whip this child?’ he thought. ‘But must, must do somethingif am to keep this school.’ Everything was quiet as death.
“‘How come you aren’t wearing shirt, Jim?’
“He replied, ‘My father died and my mother is very poor. have only oneshirt and she is washing it today, and wore my brother’s big coat to keepme warm.’
“The teacher, with rod in hand, hesitated. Just then ‘Big Tom’ jumped tohis feet and said, ‘Teacher, if you don’t object, will take Jim’s licking forhim.’
“‘Very well, there is certain law that one can become substitute foranother. Are you all agreed?’
“Off came Tom’s coat, and after five strokes the rod broke! The teacherbowed his head in his hands and thought, ‘How can finish this awfultask?’ Then he heard the class sobbing, and what did he see? Little Jim hadreached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. ‘Tom, I’msorry that stole your lunch, but was awful hungry. Tom, will love youtill die for taking my licking for me! Yes, will love you forever!’”
To lift phrase from this simple story, Jesus, my Redeemer, has taken “mylicking for me” 
and yours for you


Elder Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment